Related publicity


Residential care


Medication management


Personal care

Falls prevention

Dementia care


Mobile services


Abuse (bullying/assault/financial)


Respite services



In-home services 

Making a complaint


Policy and services



Australian Nursing and Midwifery Foundation

Have your say on aged care-2

ABC special investigation into nursing homes


Over the course of the past year, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has been at the forefront of uncovering what is happening in aged care across the country.

In April, the ABC began a special investigation into the residential aged care industry via an online survey, from which they will doubtless gather insights and build more valuable coverage.

OPSO encourages you to fill out that survey, in addition to any contribution to this site that you care to make because the more voices are heard – and the more sources of those voices – the more lawmakers will not only be forced to sit up and listen but also be pressured to activate reforms.

SPECIAL NOTE: You can watch the results of this in-depth investigation on ABC TV on Monday, September 17, and Monday, September 24, in a two-part special that will be aired at 8.30pm AEST. If you miss these special programs, you may be able to watch them later on iView. You can also see the ABC’s growing collection of news stories relating to aged care online.

Let’s drive some constructive change!

Have your say on aged care-2

Dementia advice and carer resources


Dementia advice and information

Caring for someone with dementia can be complicated, uncertain and sometimes lonely, especially in the early days.

Dementia Australia (formerly Alzheimer’s Australia) publishes this helpful online portal for carers of people with dementia.

It features advice, links to support services, education materials, help sheets and other resources as well as a definition of dementia, its symptoms, causes and memory loss.

The organisation also has a National Dementia Helpline (1800 100 500).

It also offers specific, State-based information and services (select your state from the left-hand navigation panel).

Resources for carers

Carers who provide unpaid care and support to family members and friends who have a disability, mental illness, chronic condition, terminal illness, an alcohol or other drug issue or who are frail aged often need information and advice.

Carers Australia is the peak body representing Australia’s carers. It advocates on behalf of carers to influence policies and services at a national level.

It also serves the carers of older and infirm Australians as well as providing support for younger carers and those who care for people from Indigenous as well as culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.

Working through its state and territory associations, Carers Australia also provides a wide range of counselling, advice, information and registration services. These include:

It also provides helpful assistance with navigating the NDIS.

Carers Australia runs a 24/7 helpline – 1800 242 636 – and works collaboratively with partners and its member organisations, its network of state and territory Carers Associations, to deliver a range of essential national carer services.

Have your say on aged care-2

Where to register complaints about aged care


All approved aged care providers – residential, community and in-home – should inform care recipients of their rights as well as the ways to lodge complaints.

The first port of call should be the provider. However, if complaints are not being dealt with at that level, they may need to be escalated.

For the past two years, the independent Aged Care Complaints Commissioner has been receiving notifications after the care people have received in residential, in-home or community care – and communication around that care – has broken down.

Those complaints have also come when a person has tried to address concerns but does not feel heard by their provider.

The Commissioner has emphasised the importance of complaints, saying they are “great opportunities to improve care” and are a positive.

Service providers are also encouraged to welcome complaints, “treating them as part of the opportunity to improve their service”.

Complaints can be made by calling the Commission’s national 1800 550 552 number or online via its website (at

With elder abuse an issue nationally, each state and territory provides information about abuse and abuse prevention as well as useful contacts and options for getting help. The MyAgedCare website indicates these include:

State/territory Organisation or resource Contact
Australian Capital Territory Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line (APRIL) 02 6205 3535
New South Wales NSW Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 628 221
Northern Territory Northern Territory Police 131 444
Queensland Elder Abuse Prevention Unit 1300 651 192
South Australia Aged Rights Advocacy Service
Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
08 8232 5377 (Adelaide)
1800 700 600 (rural)
Tasmania Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 441 169
Victoria Seniors Rights Victoria 1300 368 821
Western Australia Advocare Inc. 1300 724 679 (Perth)
1800 655 566 (rural)

Have your say on aged care-2

Information for residents, families and carers


  • Are you – or someone for whom you care – needing aged care services? Your one-stop-shop should be the Federal Government’s MyAgedCare website, which has information about aged care options, eligibility for service assistance, assessments to match up with appropriate services as well as setting up and managing those services.
  • Whether you are an older or infirm Australian still living at home or in residential care – or you care for someone in that position – you can get help with managing medicines via the MyAgedCare website. If you use a smartphone, you can also download and use the MedicineWise app from the National Prescribing Service via the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
  • The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) is a national network comprising nine state and territory organisations that deliver advocacy, information and education services to older and infirm people across Australia. These organisations include Advocare (WA), Seniors and Disability Rights Service (NT), Catholic Care (NT), Aged Rights Advocacy Service (SA), ADA Australia (Qld), Advocacy Tasmania (Tas), Elder Rights Advocacy (Vic), Adacas Advocacy (ACT) and Seniors Rights Service (NSW). OPAN members’ free services support older and infirm people, and their representatives, to address issues related to Commonwealth-funded aged care services.
  • Finding the right aged care for your parents can be something you are confronted with suddenly. This ABC Radio Life Matters article steps you through the process, from aged care assessment to care in the home and residential care options to understanding the basic costs involved.
  • Having chosen – or been offered – a bed in an aged care facility that appears suitable, the next step is to work out what will need to be paid. This guide to nursing home costs steps through the basic daily fee, the accommodation payment options, any means-tested and extra services fees. It also addresses what to do if there are potential difficulties in paying accommodation fees.
  • Choosing to live independently in your own home can be possible for older and infirm Australians if they can get assistance with simple tasks such as taking a shower, dressing and getting to appointments. This home care introduction web page outlines the types of home care available, how to access Federal Government-funded home care services and the types of assessment available for eligible recipients. It also steps you through choosing a home care provider, your financial contribution and lists how to identify other home care services.
  • After registering your name, email and phone number, you can download a free, independent guide from Connect Hearing to help you compare the different types of hearing aids available. The guide explains what to expect from hearing aids, the types of hearing aid styles, advances in hearing aid technology and compares hearing aids available on the market. Alternatively, you can call 1300 186 536 to request a copy be mailed out to you or someone for whom you care.

Have your say on aged care-2



Whether you are seeking further information for yourself, a family member or someone for whom you are caring, this section provides links to:

If you know of other useful resources, please let us know at so we can share them on these web pages.

Have your say on aged care-2